Guidelines for dealing with an incident / accident / injury
• Stay calm but act swiftly and observe the situation. Is there a danger of further injuries to the injured person or others?
• Listen to what the injured person is saying.
• Talk to and reassure the injured person(s).
• If you are not confident to give first aid then alert a first aider (qualified first aiders are listed below) who should take appropriate action for minor injuries.
• In the event of an injury requiring specialist treatment, call the emergency services (contact numbers for hospitals are listed below).
• Deal with the rest of the group and ensure that they are adequately supervised.
• Do not move someone with major injuries. Wait for the emergency services.
• Contact the injured person’s parent / guardian.
• Complete an incident / accident report form (see below), report incident to James Bowyer or Ken MacLeod and give a copy of the report form to parent / guardian.
All coaches have first aid qualifications and those in charge of age groups carry a first-aid kit.